Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Butternut Squash and Sausage Risotto

One of my favorite Bible study authors/teachers is Kelly Minter.  I first did her "No Other Gods" study back in 2013 and since then have done all of her studies over the last few years.  Not only is her content fantastic, but she also includes recipes in each of her study books.  Win-win!  I have a few of her recipes that have become favorites, but this one takes the cake.  When I read the description, I'll be honest and admit that I wasn't initially excited or even thought about trying it.  Sausage and butternut squash...together?!  But something told me I ought to step out of my comfort zone and give it a go.  WOW - Am I ever glad that I did!  This makes enough to feed 8 people, so it's an excellent option for a large crowd.  As soon as the temps dip below 80, I'm ready for savory dishes and this is one of my go-to meals in the cooler months.

Butternut Squash and Sausage Risotto
(serves 8)
adapted from Kelly Minter

Doesn't it just look like fall?!

Ingredients
16 oz. of Arborio rice
1 lb Ground Italian Sausage (I use Jimmy Dean's found in the breakfast meats section)
1 large butternut squash, seeded, cubed (I'll post recipe below of how to easily roast a butternut squash)
1 onion, diced
5 cups chicken stock (or broth, but I prefer stock)
2/3 cup white cooking wine
2 Tbs butter (or olive oil)
½ cup Parmesan cheese

Directions
1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise and place cut side down on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil and cooking spray.  Roast for 25 mins.  Remove and let cool then easily peel the skin off, cube the squash and toss with 1 Tbs of olive oil, salt, and pepper in the pan. Put it back in the oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
**I have found this to be the easiest way to roast a butternut squash.  If you want to peel and dice it beforehand, go for it.  But be warned, you might lose your religion over it.  There's always the option of buying pre-cut, but it's usually pretty pricey.  If you do buy pre-cut, you'll need about 4 cups and you'll roast for 20-25 mins.

2. While butternut squash is roasting, cook ground sausage in large saucepan (I use my dutch oven), stirring often to break up sausage. Drain most of the fat, reserve a little for flavor and set aside.

3. In the same large saucepan (or dutch oven), sauté onion with 2 Tbs butter in pan for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add rice and stir until well coated, about 2 minutes. Add white cooking wine and cook for another minute to let the strong wine flavor burn off. Add one cup of stock and continually stir until stock is absorbed. Do this with each cup of stock, waiting until current stock is absorbed before adding the next. If you feel like you can still add more liquid after the 5 cups of stock, you can add a ½ cup of water (or stock) until it’s creamy and to your liking. After rice is cooked, add butternut squash, sausage and Parmesan to the saucepan, stirring gently so you don’t smash the squash. Salt and pepper to taste.

4. Serve with a mixed greens salad and a green vegetable, like asparagus or roasted brussels sprouts.

This recipe just screams fall with its orange hues and sweet/savory flavors.  It's a total crowd pleaser and you can freeze any leftovers.  You may want to add extra liquid when reheating leftovers as the risotto continues to soak up the stock.  Please give this a try and let me know what you think.  It's not a quick fix, but you will not be disappointed!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is one of my favorite dishes. I tried it when you originally posted it and had it for leftovers for lunch and dinner at least two more days. It is amazing! Now I am back, making it again tomorrow. Comfort food in a bowl.