Friday, January 21, 2011

TGIF & New Year Resolutions

I've never made a New Year resolution, so why start now? I always thought they were silly & no one ever sticks to them, etc. But, I have decided to challenge myself. I am going to do this. It is something I have always wanted to do, attempted many times, but somehow fell short. I am going to read the Bible all the way through. So far, so good! I have really enjoyed it. During our counseling sessions with the Pastor before we were married, Jared and I both expressed our desire to do this so he provided us with a guideline to read the Bible through the year with daily readings from the Old and New Testaments. It really is quite neat. I've read all of Genesis and I'm almost done with Matthew. I can't wait to keep going! I've been devoting time to do my reading before bed and I always fall asleep thinking about what I've just read and/or praying and talking to God about it. Jared is also doing this, so we have many interesting conversations about passages. I love it! The more I read, the more I just "get it". If everyone would just live by these teachings (or try as hard as they can, which is what we're called to do), what a difference it would make. It really answers every single question you could ever have.

Since we're on the topic, I figured I'd share my daily devotional:

For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope-the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, – Titus 2:11-13

What a wonderful passage. It's so easy to get lost on earthly items like nice cars, nice clothes, money, etc and I admit I am guilty of this. But what does any of that "stuff" matter anyway? It's just that - stuff. There's no substance to it. Just some food for thought :)

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! I'm planning on doing a little early spring cleaning and Jared and I are checking out our local hockey team. It's my first time going to a hockey game, I'm kind of excited! But as for tonight, I can't wait to get home and have a quiet night in with my husband. I've made taco soup, which is perfect for a cold night like tonight.

No comments: