Sunday, February 26, 2012

Honey Butter Pork Tenderloin, Mexican Stuffed Peppers, Cake Batter Blondies & Oreo Triffle - Recipe Catch Up!

I'm getting so bad about posting.  I've thought time and time again since I last posted - almost a month ago - that I needed to blog, but I simply just haven't been able to find the time.  Well, I've got the time now and have a lot of post about.

I'll start off with Valentine's Day.  Yes, very old news.  BUT I want to document it none the less.  I've never been one to go all out and celebrate Valentine's Day because you should show someone everyday that you love them.  But I don't mind if one day out of the year, we take the time to calm down our busy lives and just simply focus on our love.  Since Valentine's Day was on a Tuesday this year, J and I stayed home and had a nice meal and just spent time together.  We agreed on no presents (since we're going to the Casting Crowns concert), but of course he ended up getting me something.  Not just anything, though.  A hand made,. extremely heart felt gift that was totally free.  It was the best gift I have ever received, hands down.  It made me cry and thank the Lord for my husband.  If there's one thing I've always admired about my husband, it's his ability to really get to know someone and remember important details about their life, learn what makes them tick.  Obviously he knows these things about me because I'm his wife, but I was just blown away at how personalized and sweet his creation was.  My kids at school also blew me away with their kindness.  I have enough chocolate to feed an army!  It just made me smile knowing that they took the time to pick out gifts for me and spend their allowances on me this Valentine's Day.


~~~

I've been up to a lot in the kitchen.  I've been diversifying my meal plans (even though I haven't posted one in quite some time) and was really pleased with some new dishes that are definitely being added into the rotation.  A couple new supper time dishes we've loved have been Honey Butter Pork Tenderloin and Mexican Stuffed Peppers.

Honey Butter Pork Tenderloin (adapted from food.com)



Ingredients:
-4 tbs butter
-2 tbs honey
-1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed
-1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning (I just used blackening seasoning)
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-3/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In an ovenproof pot (I used a cast iron skillet), heat butter and honey over medium heat until melted.  Sprinkle pork tenderloin with Cajun seasoning and black pepper.  Brown each side for 5 minutes.  Lower heat if honey begins to burn.

Place pot in oven and roast for 15 - 20 minutes*.  Remove pot from oven and transfer the pork to a plate. Cover with foil.  Add water to the pot and stir over medium heat.  Simmer for about 5 minutes, until sauce is reduced slightly.  Slice pork on the diagonal and drizzle sauce over top to serve. 

*I roasted mine for 45 mins and it was perfect.  Just check the progress of your tenderloin.

This was delicious and very simple.  It had a crunchy outside and tender, juicy inside.  The honey and butter together really made a unique taste.  We'll be having this again.

Mexican Stuffed Peppers


Ingredients (can feed 2-4 people):
-2 to 4 large bell peppers (any color is fine, but I chose 2 green)
-2-4 chicken breasts, depending on size (I only used 2)
-1 can Rotel and all the juice from the can
-1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
-1 chopped jalapeno
-2 cups salsa
-shredded cheese
Ingredients for Taco Seasoning:
-1 tsp salt
-2 tsp onion powder
-1 tsp chili powder
-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
-1/4 tsp oregano
-1 tsp ground cumin

Put whole chicken breasts, taco seasoning, Rotel, chopped onion and chopped jalapeno in crock pot.  Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 4 hours.  When it's done, shred chicken and mix well.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cut the tops off the the bell peppers and pull out the inside ribs and seeds.  Rinse under cold water to remove any remaining seeds.  Stuff peppers with chicken mixture & cover with salsa sprinkled with cheese.  Bake for 25 mins until pepper is soft.  You can top with more salsa and cheese if you wish.  Add some black beans or smashed pinto beans and you've got yourself a very healthy Mexican dinner.

Cake Batter Blondies (adapted from Nicole's blog)
(too easy and too good)

Ingredients:
-1 box Confetti Cake Mix
-1/4 cup oil (I used vegetable)
-1 egg
-1/3 cup milk
-1/2 cup white chocolate chips
-1/4 cup sprinkles (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine cake mix, oil, egg and milk.  Whisk until well combined.  The batter will be thick.  Add in white chocolate chips and sprinkles.  Spray a 9 inch round cake pan and pour batter in the pan.  Bake for 20-25 mins if you like them soft, 30 mins if you like them more done.  SO GOOD, but so bad.  It's just too easy and I usually have all of these ingredients in my pantry.

Oreo Chocolate Trifle (NO BAKING!)


Ingredients:
-1 package of Oreos
-1/2 cup butter, melted
-1 large box of instant chocolate pudding
-16 oz container of Cool Whip, divided
-8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
-1 cup of powdered sugar

Make chocolate pudding according to directions.  Place in fridge to set.  Meanwhile, crush the package of Oreos with a rolling pin or in a food processor.  Reserve a 1/4 cup for the topping.  Cover the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan or trifle bowl with crushed Oreos.  Pour melted butter on top, mix well and press down to make a crust.

Beat cream cheese in a mixing bowl until fluffy.  Blend in powdered sugar and then fold in half of the Cool Whip.  Spread mixture over the top of the crushed Oreos.  Top with chocolate pudding and then finish layering with the remaining Cool Whip.  Sprinkle the top with the 1/4 cup of crushed Oreos.  Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.  Very simple and takes hardly any time.  This is a great summer time dessert.

~~~

Alright, enough recipes to catch up.  I hope you'll try some of these and enjoy them as much as we did. 

This Tuesday, we have the FCAT Writing test in 4th grade.  I am so anxious to get this over with.  I know my kids will be fine, but they just put SO MUCH pressure on them to perform.  I'll be happy after Tuesday is over.  I haven't had hardly any time to do much of anything due to school right now.  I'm ready for spring break!  But I have decided to spend this chilly Sunday in pajamas.  I need some rest and relaxation before I pull my hair out.  I'll blog soon about a book I'm reading that is really helping me to calm my anxious spirit and seek what really matters in life.  I have always struggled with anxiety and OCD and when I am under a lot of pressure, it really fires it up.  That's just the devil's way of trying to sneak in and have control over my thoughts.  But I know this and will not let it happen.  I'm staying positive and praying for God's peace to capture my mind and direct my thoughts.

I hope y'all have a blessed week! XOXO


No comments: