Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Homemade Pesto

My basil plant looks like it's taken steroids this summer.  The thing is HUGE and there's no way we'll be able to eat all of it before the summer heat finally gets to it.  So to make the most of it, I've been wanting to make homemade pesto.  I can finally check that one off my list.  It tastes way better than anything you buy at the store and is ridiculously easy.  Here's what you'll need...


Ingredients:
-about 2 cups fresh Basil (packed)
-1/2 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-1/4 cup Parmesan
-3 to 4 Garlic Cloves
-Salt to Taste

I tweaked this recipe from She Makes and Bakes.  I took out the pine nuts, I'm not a fan.

Directions:
1. Wash basil thoroughly.  I spin my dry with my salad spinner to get all of the excess water out.
2. Heat a small skillet on med/high heat and toast your garlic cloves (with skins still on) until brown spots start to form.
3. Meanwhile, combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend thoroughly.  Add garlic once it's cooled and you've peeled it.

4. Transfer to an air tight jar and store in the fridge.  These measurements fit a medium sized mason jar perfectly.
Enjoy!






No comments: