Friday, January 20, 2012

Homemade Vanilla Coffee Creamer & Ranch Dressing

It's starting to feel like I start off every post about Pinterest but I just love that website so much.  It is so inspiring and I've gotten the best ideas from there - from the kitchen, to cleaning tips, crafts to make, ideas to use in my classroom and outfits - it's never ending. 

I've been wanting to try these two homemade items out so I finally bought some mason jars and got to work...if you could call it work.  I made homemade french vanilla coffee creamer and homemade ranch dressing all via pinterest.  The total time it took to make these two items...maybe 5 minutes.  THAT simple.

Not only is it simple, but MUCH healthier than the stuff you buy in the store.  Have you ever looked at the ingredients of creamer or Ranch dressing (two of my favorite guilty pleasures)?  Like I tell my kids at school - if you can't pronounce it, you probably don't want to be putting that into your body.  They're FULL of preservatives and chemicals to make their shelf life never ending.  That is the one downfall of these two recipes coming up.  You need to use them and quickly.  They're only good for about 2 weeks since they both contain dairy products. 

Homemade French Vanilla Creamer 
(adapted from Mrs. Happy Homemaker)


Ingredients:
-14 oz sweetened condensed milk
-14 oz skim milk (or milk/cream of your choice)
-2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
Pour all ingredients into a mason jar. (I used a quart, but a pint would work best for this amount, unless you double it)  Shake vigorously until well mixed.  Refrigerate and use daily. SO SIMPLE.

Homemade Ranch Dressing 
(adapted from Smells Like Home)

Ingredients:
-3/4 cup mayonnaise (I used organic olive oil based mayo)
-3/4 cup sour cream
-1 Tbsp olive oil
-1 Tbsp lemon juice
-1/4 to 1 cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup and I thought the consistency was perfect)
-1 small bunch of chives or 2 scallions, roughly chopped
-Small handful of parsley
-1 clove garlic
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper


Directions:
Place all ingredients with 1/4 cup of buttermilk in a blender and blend until mixed well. Check consistency and blend in additional buttermilk if needed. Store in a mason jar in the fridge.  Leftovers keep for around 2 weeks - check the expiration dates of your buttermilk & sour cream.


This ranch dressing tastes so good and fresh.  The coffee creamer tastes like a Starbucks frappuccino.  Why do I get so excited over recipes and food?  I don't know but I do.  It makes me feel good to make something I know others will enjoy.  Speaking of food...if you haven't tried organic milk, give it a shot.  My oldest brother and his wife convinced me to try it and I don't ever want to buy regular milk again.  The taste is so much different and better.  I can definitely justify the price difference.

I hope y'all have a wonderful weekend.  We're attending a marriage seminar put on by Kirk Cameron (yep, from growing pains) and I am SO excited.  I've heard he's a phenomenal speaker.  I can't wait to see what we'll get out of it. Be blessed!

2 comments:

Beth @beth-adam.blogspot.com said...

I completely agree about the organic milk! It does taste different! :) And I can definitely justify the price differene for that too! :) Hope y'all have a great weekend!!

Carrie said...

Thanks, Beth! I'm happy you think so too. I didn't want to think I was crazy, but the taste is dramatically different. Hope y'all have a great weekend too!