Sunday, January 22, 2012

Refreshed

This weekend was everything I hoped it would be.  I feel so rejuvenated and refreshed.

Since I had Monday off this week, I was able to get the whole house cleaned and didn't have to worry about that this weekend.  Friday night we did absolutely nothing and it was WONDERFUL.  I love being able to stay home and relax.  That doesn't happen too often because I tend to stay pretty busy, but there's not much that beats being in your sweatpants lounging on the couch.

Saturday was relaxing as well - got my grocery shopping done and we attended a marriage seminar Saturday night that our church hosted.  I had really been looking forward to this for awhile and it did not disappoint.  It was called "Love Worth Fighting For" put on by Warren Barfield and Kirk Cameron.  Jared has NOT stopped singing the Growing Pains theme song since last night, by the way.  But this seminar was so very good.  Kirk Cameron is a phenomenal speaker and if you ever have the chance, GO SEE HIM.  I wish every married couple I know could have been there.  Plus Warren was quite entertaining.  My cheeks hurt from laughing so hard at him, but he was so real and his story gripped my heart.  These were just two genuine men preaching the Word like it is, no sugarcoating.  I appreciate that so much.  Throughout the seminar, Kirk had 3 main points he shared on how to fireproof your marriage and I just wanted to quickly list them.  I won't go into the details because he is the professional, but everyone can benefit from just reading these words.

1.  The heart of the problem (in a marriage) is the problem of the heart.
2.  There's only one person on this Earth you can change and that is yourself.
3.  Have a "war strategy" in place to deal with sin.

It was a great way to spend our Saturday night and I'm thankful for the friends we were there with.  But I am most thankful for the amazing husband God blessed me with sitting beside me.  I know that I never have to worry about us not fighting for our marriage.  He is just as committed as me.  I'm thankful for the time we've spent to strengthen and work on our marriage and I pray that we will continue to do that always.

Today in church was quite gripping too.  Our Sunday school teachers have been sharing their testimonies with us and it is so inspiring.  To see what they've had to walk through in this world gives me hope and makes me want to pray for them even more than I already do.  I am so thankful for our leaders.  They have truly been such a blessing in our lives.  Today's sermon was also outstanding.  It always is, but you know...sometimes you just have those days where you know God is talking directly to you.  I needed a burden placed on my heart for something I've been too complacent with in my life for too long.  And tonight's service...wow.  Sobering.  That is the word I think best describes how it made me feel.  Mrs. Liz talked with the women about the difference in "believers" versus being Godly.  She discussed attitude, authority and apparel.  I have seriously been working on myself in the past year to right my wrongs and live for Jesus.  It's not easy to stand up and be different than the world, but through God's grace and guidance, He is helping me do that one step at a time.  I'm just not good enough to ever do it on my own.  I feel like I have the point of authority down.  I REALLY needed God this past year for that.  Now attitude - I make a conscious effort to do as Paul directs in Philippians 2:5 "Make your own attitude that of Christ Jesus".  I know we are to have His attitude of sacrificing humility and love for others.  And I can honestly say that I TRY to strive for this, but I do fall short.  Mrs. Liz bluntly (which I love) talked about even the things we watch on TV.  Now I'm not for all of the reality stuff, but I do need to make some changes.  On discussing apparel, she made the point of saying, "don't spend more time dressing the outside than you do the inside."  Oh yes...solid advice.  For me, a person who's always dealt with self-confidence issues on my appearance, I seriously needed to hear that tonight.  I feel like tonight was that extra push I needed to get past some things in my life.  I have got to stop being so concerned with my outward appearance.  I'm still so self-conscious of my bad skin and aspects of my body that aren't "ideal" in worldly standards.  But we all have scars.  And God made me in HIS image so how can I hate anything about myself?  He.Made.Me.  My husband loves the woman I am and that is the only thing that matters.  There is this song by Johnny Diaz that I just LOVE called More Beautiful You.  The chorus goes:

There could never be a more beautiful you
Don't buy the lies, disguises and hoops, they make you jump through
You were made to fill a purpose that only you could do
So there could never be a more beautiful you

Mmmm yes, his lyrics are so correct.  Watch and listen if you have a chance.




I'm ready to start my week off strong.  XO

No comments: