Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chicken Enchilada Pasta

I've got a recipe for you to try!  I made this two nights ago and it was so good.  I'm happy I didn't let the name stop me from trying this recipe, because it definitely exceeded my expectations.  Even the hubby liked it and he's not a fan of anything out of the ordinary.  Casseroles just don't happen with him.  The flavors are so full and wonderful all mixed together.  Give it a shot and tell me what you think!

Chicken Enchilada Pasta


Ingredients:
-2 chicken breasts, bone-in with rib meat, boiled and shredded (or just buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it)
-1 box whole wheat penne pasta
-1 onion, chopped (or do like I do and buy frozen - use about 1 cup.  I hate chopping onions.  It always makes me cry!)
-1 red pepper chopped
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-2 tbsp olive oil
-1 4 oz can diced green chiles
-2 10 oz cans green enchilada sauce
-1 cup red enchilada sauce (a little less than 1 can)
-2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 1/2 to 2 tsp chili powder
-1 tsp cumin
-1 cup plain greek yogurt or sour cream

Additional Toppings I used:
-tomatoes
-avocados
-green onions
-greek yogurt

Directions:
1.  Cook and shred chicken, set aside.  Boil pasta according to directions.  While pasta is boiling, chop onion, pepper and garlic.
2.  In a large saucepan over med/high heat, saute onions in the olive oil until translucent (about 2-3 mins).  Add the pepper and garlic and saute for another 2-3 minutes until tender.
3.  Add the enchilada sauces.  It should start to simmer.  Add the green chiles, salt, chili powder, cumin and shredded chicken.  Let simmer for 8-10 mins.
4.  Add the Mexican cheese, stirring to mix and melt through.
5.  Reduce the heat to low.  Make sure it is NOT boiling and add in your greek yogurt or sour cream.  Stir and mix well.
6.  Return the pasta to a large pot and add enchilada sauce.  Mix together and you're ready to grub!  Top with avocado, tomato, green onions and sour cream/greek yogurt.

I hope you enjoy!  I made my version a little healthier by using whole wheat pasta and greek yogurt instead of sour cream.  It came out great.  Feel free to use regular pasta and sour cream.

Have a good rest of the week.  I am so spent.  Another teacher I work with said she feels like she's been running a marathon.  I thought that was perfect to describe the way I feel too.  I need the weekend to recharge my batteries!  Maybe then I can catch up on some blogging. :)


1 comment:

estetik said...

I hope you enjoy! I made my version a little healthier by using whole wheat pasta and greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
Estetik