Friday, July 22, 2011

SUYL - Marriage Advice

I'm linking up with Kelly's Korner for Show Us Your Life - Marriage Advice.  Now, I am no expert.  We've been married a little over 10 months, but if the 1st year is supposed to be the hardest...this is awesome.  I believe marriages always take work, but anything worth having does.  Believe me, not every day is rainbows and butterflies, but I am blessed beyond measure.


My best marriage advice is to have a solid foundation in Christ.  Jesus speaks of a foundation in God in Matthew 7:24-27:

“Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
-Matthew 7:24-27
This holds so true for me -  not only in marriage but in all other aspects of life.  Build your marriage in Christ and it will be a solid foundation.  Everything else is sand, in that it can be washed away quickly and suddenly.  I credit my relationship to this principle - it was the first thing Jared and I talked about when we started dating.  From day 1 it was the most important element to build love that would last a lifetime.

Now my hubs had another excellent piece of advice.  He said to always put your relationship first.  In every decision you make, every thought you process, have your relationship as your number one priority.  He's a good one, that guy. ;)

Speaking of marriage advice, tomorrow is my parents' 30th anniversary.  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, Mom & Dad!  I love y'all SO much!!  Thanks for being a great example in my life. 

Hope y'all have a wonderful weekend! XOXO


5 comments:

lesapeamusings.blogspot said...

I could not agree with you more about having your foundation in Christ. I remember praying for a man who loved God and people as well and he had to be tall. Well God answered those prayers and now I'm happily married this 14 yrs to my 6.1ft hubby, with two kids. I am happy i found your blog, I am a new follower.

Lisa x

Andrea Turner said...

I have been married 11 years now. I agree with your husband. If you don't put each other before work, friends, family, etc. Then you really loose out. You begin to grow apart. I have seen it happen to many people.

GreatDestiny said...

GREAT advice!!

Whitney @ justacountry-girl said...

I am in love with your blog :) so cute and sincere. i am your latest follower pretty girl. this advice are words my mama continues to preach. love it!

Carrie said...

Thank y'all - your sweet words really mean a lot to me!